- Assess physical function in chronic disease
- Example: Coronary Artery Disease
Exercise tolerance increases Life Expectancy
- True even in otherwise healthy persons
- "Couch potatoes" have higher mobidity and mortality
- How often do you do the following activities
- Climb stairs
- Go shopping
- Bring in groceries
- Participate in structured Exercise program
- Go for a walk
- What limits you when you do these activities?
- Chest Pain
- Shortness of Breath
- Calf pain
- Joint Pain (Knee, Hip or Back)
- What do you do to overcome these limits?
- Nitroglycerin for Chest Pain
- AlbuterolInhaler for Shortness of Breath
- Pain Medications (e.g. Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen)
- Sit and rest (for how long?)
- What would you like to do that you cannot now?
- Go on a trip with family
- Play with my grandchildren