II. Approach: Understanding the practice in its environment
- Why did this position become available?
- Who is the competition?
- How many health organizations are in the community?
- How many new FPs have started practice in the last
- How is this practice perceived in the community
- Does the practice have enemies?
III. Approach: Understanding the practice's financial stability
- How many managed care contracts does the practice have?
- What is the patient insurance mix?
- What is the Group's gross collection rate?
- What were the group's gross charges last year?
- What were the group's collections last year?
- What are physician mean gross charges and collections?
- What is the operating overhead rate?
- How are overdue bills collected?
- How often are fee schedules reviewed?
- How many new patients are seen per day or per week?
- How old is the building and equipment?
- How is the equipment financed?
- What is the remaining debt on facilities?
IV. Approach: Understanding the practice support
- What are the referral patterns?
- Are the consultants well liked by patients, providers?
- Are the hospitals financially stable?
- How are the Emergency Departments staffed?
- What resources are in the community to assist patients?
V. Approach: Questions about job satisfaction
- How long do physicians stay in this practice?
- Why did the last physician leave?
- What is the turnover in employees?
VI. Approach: Understanding the practice styles
- Physician ages and number of years out of residency?
- What outside medical interests involve physicians?
- Sporting events
- What procedures are performed at the clinic?
- Who performs these procedures
VII. Approach: Understanding practice workload
- How many patients are seen in a clinic half-day?
- What is the call coverage?
- Weekends and Holidays
- Vacation and CME
- What extended hours are required or encouraged?
- Extended weekday clinics
- Extended weekend clinics
- Emergency room coverage
VIII. Approach: Understanding practice efficiency
- Medical Record System
- Hand-written notes
- Dictated notes
- Electronic medical record
- Scheduling system
- Billing and accounting system
- What is the staff to physician ratio?
- Who makes employee hiring and firing decisions?
- Do I have input into nurse selection?