II. Protocol: Discuss new HIV diagnosis
- See Breaking Bad News
- Review initial medical plan
III. Protocol: Discuss behaviors at risk for transmission to others
- See HIV Risk Screening Questions
- See HIV Transmission Prevention
- Discuss how to disclose HIV positive status
IV. Protocol: Review Support and Coping
- Discuss coping mechanisms
- What support systems do they have in place?
- Is the patient depressed or at risk of Suicide?
- Discuss the patient's family's reaction
- Are they in a safe at home?
- Are they being blamed for their illness?
- Is there abuse in the home?
- Are there financial concerns?
- Is their job secure?
- Assistance with finances, housing, or insurance?
- Other support services to consider
- Social services
- Legal counsel