CURVES Capacity Assessment Tool
Aka: CURVES Capacity Assessment Tool, CURVES Mnemonic for Capacity Assessment
- See Also
- Decision-Making Capacity
- Decision-Making Capacity Evaluation
- Choose and communicate
- Can the patient make a choice and communicate that choice?
- Can the patient understand benefits, risks and alternatives?
- Can the patient make a logical, rational choice?
- Is the choice the patient makes consistent with their values?
- Is there an impending, emergent risk to the patient?
- Is there a decision maker available?
- First 4 letters (C-U-R-V)
- Assess the Decision-Making Capacity of the patient
- Last 2 letters (E-S)
- Assess whether emergency treatment can be delivered without Informed Consent
- Chow (2010) Chest 137(2): 421-7 [PubMed]